Monday, December 7, 2015

Book Review : Twas The Night Before Christmas

Good evening my lovelies!

Always wanted to do book reviews for picture books to YA; but for some reason never knew where to start, so, today I thought I would dive in head first. 

I don't celebrate Christmas, not in a long time anyway, though seeing all the coloured lights and gorgeous sweets at this time of year, I always get taken back in my memories of my childhood.  And there is nothing that says Christmas more than the delightful poem by Clement C. Moore's  "Twas The Night Before Christmas".  What makes this version particularly delightful is the beautiful and detailed illustrations of Gyo Fujikawa. Making it a truly magical experience!


Excited children, dancing sugar plumbs, eight flying reindeer and a tiny jolly elf, St. Nick himself dazzle the eyes with all the tiny details only Gyo can do.  Her illustrations make you want to just sit back and stare at all the pictures, straining to see all the tiny things she's hidden in there.


I loved books like this when I was a child.  Instead of reading the story, I would sit for hours pouring over every nook and cranny of the drawing. Running my fingers over the pages in awe of how the artist even created it. It was only then, after being fully done with ogling, would I read the actual story for the next delight.


If you have not yet heard of Gyo Fujikawa, I highly, highly recommend that you do! I'll leave you with a link to her wikipedia page to take a peek if you like.  She was a prolific creator of over 50 picture books, and wonderfully, her books are still in reprint.  I love her drawings of children. They are so cute with their happy faces, plump little bellies and sweet dot eyes.

So, with Christmas coming ever closer, what is your favourite Christmas story to read? Or your favourite Christmas illustrations?

Happy Chanukkah! And I'll see you in the next post! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. This is my favourite version of Night Before Christmas! Such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete